background

Thursday, May 23, 2013

oilcloth chair proctector


We recently purchased new table and chairs, and having a one-year-old, I wanted to protect the chair his highchair goes on.

In case anyone wants to know how I did it, here are the step-by-step instructions:


First trace around the seat on to some paper.  I used wrapping paper with gridlines on the back. 
 
Next, draw lines 1/2" from the chair seat outline along the two sides and front.  Then draw a third outline for how long you want it to hang over the sides of the chair (I did 4 inches) keeping in mind you will fold it under 1/2". 
 
In the two front corners, draw a parallel line from the ½” seam line to the 4” line.  Do this on both sides, and the front of the pattern.  Because I'm a visual person, I drew a Diagram. 
Be sure to account for the back chair rails, if you have any.  I also made the back piece longer than 4” to ensure it wrapped under the chair.  After I cut my pattern out of the wrapping paper, I laid it on the chair to make sure it would fit properly.

Tape all the way around the pattern to your oilcloth – it doesn’t matter if it’s on the right or wrong side.  Then cut out the pattern.  The tape will reinforce the edges of your pattern, if you wish to cover more chairs or for future use.  I only needed to do one chair, but I never throw my patterns away. 



 
With the right sides together, sew the front two corners together with a 1/2" seam.  You should have an angle at the top.


Oilcloth doesn’t fray, but for a nice finish, fold the bottom under once about ½” and hold in place with hair clips - pins will poke holes in the oilcloth.  Place tissue paper on top of the oilcloth.  The tissue paper will prevent the presser foot from sticking to the oilcloth and ruining it, then it’s easy to rip off when you’re finished.  NOTE: you will need to use a size 16 or denim needle and long stitches (I used length #4).  Sew the seam 1/4" all the way around to include both sides and the front.  I also folded in the back of the sides so they hang straight down. 


Lastly, I cut the back piece straight on both sides and attached self-adhesive Velcro to the bottom edges of the oilcloth and attached it under the chair. 


This is a picture from the back:


The finshed product:



No comments:

Post a Comment