background

Thursday, March 14, 2013

shoo fly


I don’t have any finished projects to post, so this week I thought I would share a tip.  When I piece my blocks, I like all the pieces to face the same direction.  For example, this turtle print: I don't want some of the turtles on their backs (haha!) or sideways.  I’m sure this tip would work with other triangles, but this is specifically for the Shoo Fly pattern.
 
Divide your squares in half (you should always have an even number).  On the first half, draw a line across your square from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.  On the other half, draw a line across your square from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.  Note: Although you are drawing the line on the wrong side of the fabric, you should still be able to see your pattern and make sure all the squares are facing the same direction.



Sew ¼” seam on each side of the line.  Then cut the fabric along the line; press open to one side.  You should have four opposite triangles.



 


Arrange accordingly, and all the pieces in your block will be facing the same direction. For more detailed instructions on the Shoo Fly block, this is a great link.


No comments:

Post a Comment